Why Every Great Email Includes These 5 Things
Great email marketing isn't a mystery. While we may never know why some YouTube…
Building an email list is very important to your online business. According to statistics, email is 40 times more successful at getting your business new clients than either Facebook or Twitter.
Email is a powerful marketing method but getting subscribers is the easier part. Once you have your list of subscribers, you want to ensure that they open and read your emails regularly.
Another unfortunate statistic is that only about half of your subscribers will open and/or read your emails. There ae many easy things you can do to help raise this number.
Below are ten quick and easy ideas to help you get more people to open and read your emails.
1. Subject Line – Approximately one third of your subscribers will open your email based on subject line alone. You want your subject line to be short – about 3 words. You do not want to use spammy words such as free, help and reminder. Do not use exclamation points in your subject line. Negative words draw more attention. Using words like wrong, lose, stupid, etc. can actually get your email opened more often.
2. Personalization – If you can add the person’s name in the subject line, there is a greater chance it will be opened. But be careful you do not end of with something like: Hello [name]. This will make your email seem spammy and unprofessional. You also want to write your emails in a way that is a friend to a friend type conversation. Don’t make your emails sterile and hard to understand.
3. Go Mobile – Over half of all emails read are now on mobile phones. Make sure your emails, including the subject lines, are mobile-friendly.
4. When to Send – Tuesday is the day that more emails will get opened and read according to Experian. According to MailChimp, after noon becomes more active with the most active email reading time being between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
5. Personality – Be sure to give your emails a little of your personality. Your readers want to get to know you so put yourself in your emails. Add some fun, humor (do not be offensive or inappropriate) and games or contests.
6. What’s in it for me? – People always want to know what is in it for them. They don’t want to waste time trying to find a reason to read your emails. Let them know how they will benefit from your email in the subject line or first line of the email.
7. Quality Content – The number one thing people want in an email is helpful, relevant information. Provide this for them and they will probably read your emails regularly. You can also provide them with rewards or benefits for taking action.
8. Capital Letters – This is something that is still unknown by some people. Using all caps in the email world is like rudely yelling at someone. Do not use all caps in your subject line or email. Using all caps can also get you flagged by the spam filters.
9. Be Consistent – If you say you are going to send out emails weekly then be sure to follow through and send them out weekly. If you just send an email here and there you will lose readers and subscribers. Also, make sure you deliver on what you say. If you tell people you will be sending updates, resources, special offers, etc. then that is what you need to send.
10. More Information, Less Promotion – We all know the reason for sending out email to subscribers is to promote your business. But, you need to do that indirectly. Make the emails about 90% information and benefits and only about 10% direct promoting. If you send nothing but a giant ad, your emails will definitely not get opened or read.
Building a responsive mailing list is not easy but there are many things you can do. Start implementing the above ideas and research more things you can do to improve your open rate. You might be surprised at the things you find out that you would have never thought would make a difference!
About the Author:
Terri Seymour has 20 years of internet marketing experience and has helped many people start their own business. Now is the time to get started with your own exciting resell ebook business. Visit now to get three free gifts including The Big Book of Social Media Tips. http://www.ebooks.seymourproducts.com