When you build your website, you, of course, want to get high rankings in the search engines. There are lots of ways to do this and lots of ways NOT to do this. Below are ten things to avoid if you want to be in good standing with the search engines.
1. Duplicate Content/Sites – Do not set up multiple sites or site pages using the same content with a few different keywords spread around. This action does not fool the search engines.
2. Cloaking – Cloaking is when a website or webpage sets up to show different content for a search engine spider than human visitors. The cloaked page (for the spiders) stuffed with keywords is an attempt to get higher rankings. What it can get you is banned!
3. Linking to Bad Neighborhoods – Be careful who you link to because you can be found guilty by association. Do not link to adult sites, gambling sites, or link farms. Also, be careful not to link to sites that use any of the SEO methods mentioned here.
4. Title Stacking – This is merely trying to give each page more than one title tag so you can use more keywords to get higher rankings. The search engines consider this a dirty little trick.
5. Doorway Pages – Doorway or gateway pages are set-ups for one keyword topic, but they take you to different content. These pages usually have little value in scope and have little to do with the rest of the site. They are solely to try to get a higher rank in the search engines.
6. Redirect Pages – Redirect pages are to rank high in the search engines, but when you click on the page, it will take you to another page, usually a sales page for a product or service. So, what you see isn’t what you get!
7. Automated Submission Services – Do not use automated submission services. They are against Google’s TOS and can get you banned.
8. Hidden Links – are links added to a page in such a small size that human visitors cannot see it but will be seen by the search engine spiders. This action might work for a time, but someone will penalize you when the search engines discover it.
9. Keyword Stuffing – Keyword stuffing or spamming you is merely too repetitive with your keywords as to the extent of your content not being sensible.
For example, if your keyword is cat food and your text reads something like this: When your cat gets hungry, be sure to feed them this cat food because your cat will like this cat food. This cat food comes in an easy to open cat food can and contains fish, chicken, and healthy ingredients that all cat food should have. So, when your cat is hungry for cat food, give them this cat food because this cat food is the best cat food for your cat! You can easily see why so much stuffing is problematic.
10. Invisible Text – This is when you hide text using the same color text and background. This invisible text is meant for the search engines only and not for visitors. This writing is so you can stuff a lot more keywords on your page without wrecking your content. The search engines will discover this, and they will penalize you!
Be careful not to use these Black Hat SEO methods because it could cause you a lot of trouble with the search engines. Be careful who you hire to work on your site because some of these things can be done without your knowledge and cause your site to get banned or penalized.
A few things you should do to get higher rankings are:
1. Research keywords and use relevant keywords on your web pages and in your page title.
2. Add new content to your site regularly
3. Link with relevant, quality sites
4. Use a site map
Following all of the above can keep you from getting banned and improve your rankings!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lаrrу Nеwmаn hаѕ оvеr 20 уеаrѕ оf оnlіnе еxреrіеnсе & hаѕ hеlреd mаnу реорlе ѕtаrt and succeed with thеіr buѕіnеѕѕ. Vіѕіt thе httрѕ://www.еbооkѕ.ѕеуmоurрrоduсts.com ѕіtе fоr everything EBOOK, rеѕеlling еbооkѕ, buying and reading ebooks, setting up your own ebook business аnd mоrе. Yоu саn ѕіgn for оur wееklу nеwѕlеttеr and rесеіvе thе nеwеѕt аnd bеѕt uрdаtеѕ аnd рrоmоtіоnѕ. And gеt a frее WordPress Tutоrіаl with уоur ѕіgnuр! But, bear in mind, that this site will Still have the eBooks, and the https://seymourproducts.com site will have everything else – it is primarily a wholesale digital products website now! As we are slowly transferring to this site once we complete all of the massive changes.
I have republished this post from several years ago, to show how slowly things change, so What I say “Keep tuned and watch the changes unfold!