Make Your Business Card Memorable
With new innovative marketing strategies business cards are not like they used to be. …
A backlink, also known as an inbound link, is simply a link to your website. The more quality backlinks you can acquire, the more importance or popularity is given to your site by the search engines. I do say quality backlinks because you want to be careful and not amass your link all over just for numbers sake. You need to pick and choose where you want your backlinks to
Obtaining a good number of quality backlinks is important because the search engines will take into account those backlinks and give your website more credibility and relevance thus increasing your ranking.
If you have a site that sells children’s clothes and toys, a backlink from a mechanic’s site would not be given much relevance from the search engines. You need to be sure and get linked to sites with quality content that is relevant to your content.
There are many ways to start gathering backlinks to your site. Some are better than others and some are not recommended at all.
1. Submit guest posts to relevant blogs. Many blog owners do accept guest post submissions but be sure to follow their guidelines. You can find a long list of blogs that accept submissions at GuestBloggingTactics.
2. Submit your site to high ranking quality directories such as Dmoz.
3. Participate in forums. Add your link to your signature, following the moderator’s guidelines, and post helpful informative posts whenever possible.
4. Run a contest. Offer a valued prize but require entrants to link to your site. Be sure to check out all the entrants’ sites.
5. Engage in social media. Getting involved in social media can give you many opportunities for backlinks. Be sure all your profiles contain a link to your site.
6. Link exchanges still work. Contact blog or website owners of quality relevant sites and see if they would be interested in a link exchange.
7. Update your content regularly. Provide useful information and let people know they can link to this information. Give them permission to post it on their site as well as long as your link and other information are posted as well.
8. Make sure to have social media buttons on your site to make it easy for people to share your content.
[Tweet "18 Ways to Get Backlinks"]
9. Join discussion groups. Become an active member and networker in these groups. Don’t just post messages like “Me too.” Or “I agree.” Make your posts informative, helpful and relevant. Offer your opinion, advice and guidance.
10. List your website with bookmarking sites such as StumbleUpon and Digg. Find a directory of bookmarking sites at Wikipedia.
11. Use power words in your content titles. Words like ultimate, amazing, secret, discover, and how to could attract more attention and get you more backlinks.
12. Utilize questions and answer sites such as Yahoo Answers. Share your expertise and acquire backlinks all at once.
13. Write detailed tutorials and post them to your site encouraging people to share them with their visitors as well.
14. Comment on DoFollow blogs. A dofollow blog is simply a blog that allows the search engine bots to crawl the comments. When you comment on a dofollow blog, the search engines will notice this and consider your comment a backlink. You can find a list of dofollow blogs at eduBlogFinder.
15. Number posts are very popular and could get your more backlinks. Example: 10 Ways to Pump Up Your Profits.
16. Create videos and post them on YouTube and other video sites and always include your link.
17. List posts do very well and could get you a large number of quality backlinks. Example: Top Ten Ways to Make Money Online.
18. Join blogging communities such as BlogEngage. You can find a list of the best communities at TheLinkMedic.
When working on your backlinks you need to be steady and consistent like the tortoise. If you are too fast like the hare and get a ton of links all of a sudden, the search engines will become suspicious. It is better to slowly build a backlinks arsenal that will help raise you to the top of the search engines.
About the Author:
Terri Seymour has 20 years of internet marketing experience and has helped many people start their own business. Visit her site for three free gifts including The Big Book of Social Media Tips and How to Market Your Online Business for Free: http://www.Ebooks.SeymourProducts.com