How to Build an Active List Using Social Media
Social media and email marketing are two powerful business tools and if you bring…
Pinterest, a very prominent social media site, is now just behind Twitter in popularity and is growing rapidly. Pinterest incites more referral traffic than Twitter and LinkedIn combined. Obviously, this popular social site could do a lot for your business and online presence but as with all tools, it must be used properly.
The basic idea of Pinterest is to start boards on which you pin images along with a text description of what you are pinning. Some of the most popular type of pins are home, arts and crafts, style and fashion and food. Food is one of the most rapidly growing popular categories.
Learning to pin more efficiently will help increase your visibility, traffic and sales.
1. Pin Regularly – Map out a pinning schedule and stick to it. Be sure to pin at different times for optimal results. Try pinning 20 or more times throughout the day, if possible. It is better to pin consistently throughout the week rather than bulk pinning in spurts.
2. Colors Get Results – It has been shown that reds and oranges will get more results than blues. You also want to use multiple colors in your images as opposed to pins with one main color.
3. Available Tools – There are many tools to help you pin more effectively. Pinreach will help you determine how well you are doing and can give you your Pinterest “score”. Piqora is a great tool for marketers. You can use it for promoting and to track the results for your marketing efforts. There are many more available to help you perfect your pinning campaign.
4. Description Keywords – Be sure to use appropriate keywords in your pin description. This will help people find your pins more easily, thus attracting more followers and traffic.
5. Background – Pins with less “empty” background will receive more likes and repins than pins that have a small main image with lots of background. Be sure your pins are complete with less than 10% of the pin being empty background. You could receive 2-4 times more repins.
6. Connect with Facebook and Twitter – Always connect with your other social media accounts. This will increase your chance for followers, likes, repins, etc.
7. Board Names – Be sure to create captivating board names and also use relevant keywords. Board names are akin to headlines and they need to capture people’s attention to produce results. Take note of which board titles capture your attention and why.
8. Don’t Just “Repin” – Be sure to mix original pins with repins. Repinning is fine but add some unique pins of your own as well.
9. Write a Smart Description – When writing your description be sure to add your relevant keywords along with concise wording and proper grammar. Remember the short and simple rule. This will increase the chances of your pin showing up in searches.
10. Pin Videos – Take advantage of the video section Pinterest provides. There are many more images than videos pinned so you can capture your niche in the video pin community.
11. Blog Posts – When posting on your blog be sure to use images so you can pin the post and image to your boards. Do not pin an entire post but a short teaser with a link will work very well. Only post to appropriate boards and do not overdo on self promotion.
12. Study Your Pin Stats – Pinterest offers statistics on your pins so be sure to use them to your advantage. Find out which ones work and which ones don’t and learn from them. Note the engagement initiated by your pins as well.
13. Cover Images – Choose the cover images for your boards wisely. When I look for boards, the cover image is what draws me to the board. You can go through all your pins to see which one fits best in the space allotted and which ones have the most punch. As always, look at other boards to see which cover images get the most response from you.
14. Research Popular Pins – Take some time to look at the most popular pins. Study them to see what differentiates them from other pins. Use this information for your own pins for more productivity.
15. Group Boards – One of the great features of Pinterest is group boards. You can ask the owners of these boards to add you and you can then pin to those boards. Be sure to follow the board owner’s rules and guidelines. Pinning effectively to group boards can substantially increase your following.
Pinterest is a fun social site that can bring you more visitors and grow your business. But, as with all marketing mediums, you must take the time to utilize it properly in order to enjoy the full benefit of its potential power.
About the Author:
Terri Seymour has over 15 years of internet marketing experience and has helped many people start their own business. Visit her site for free articles, resources, information, resell ebook business opportunity and more. Get three free gifts including The Big Book of Social Media Tips. http://www.SeymourProducts.com
Please feel free to reprint this article in your newsletter, ezine, blog, etc as long as resource box is included and unchanged. And also please feel free to email me if you have questions about anything on our site. Thank you!