Keywords are a crucial part of your website’s SEO. Keywords are what people use to search for sites and if you are not using them properly, your site will not get found. Thus, you will lose sales and money.
If keywords are done correctly it could mean substantial traffic and sales for your online business. However, the process of finding and using keywords is much more involved than you might think. Read the following to see if you are making any of these mistakes with your keyword research and usage.
1. Not Researching Your Keywords – To find the most successful and relevant keywords for your site, you must do some research. Find out what keywords are used the most and for what people are searching. Do not only take search numbers into consideration. Use the most relevant keywords for your site. You can find lots of free keyword research tools online.
2. High Keyword Density – The general rule for effective keyword density is no higher than 5%. This means that of your total content the keyword should not be more than 5% of the total amount of words. So, if your website page has 100 words, your keyword should only be mentioned no more than five times. More than this could be considered spamming and could lower your rankings.
3. Not Placing Properly – Keywords need to be placed in certain areas for maximum effectiveness. This includes your page title, headings and subheadings, and first and last paragraphs. And you want to gently and naturally use your keywords throughout the content.
4. Not Reviewing Periodically – Many of us first make the mistake of thinking that once we get the proper keywords placed and in use, we never have to do it again. Do not make this mistake. You want to review and revamp your keywords about every few months or so. Search patterns change, SEO methods change and you need to make sure your keywords are still effective.
5. Not Being Target Specific – Using generic keywords can bring you more traffic but you want targeted traffic that will actually make a purchase. For example: If you sell golf equipment, do not use the generic golf as a keyword. Use more targeted keywords such as titanium golf clubs and other target specific phrases. This will bring in fewer people but these people will find what they are looking for and probably be ready to purchase.
6. Not Considering Your Competition – When choosing your keywords, you need to take into consideration the competition. Check what websites have top ranking for your keywords. Do you have a chance at beating these competitors? Or are they monster sites that will easily stay on top? If there is no way you can beat your competition with those specific keywords, they would be a waste of time. Using longer keyword phrases with less competition might make you more money.
7. Using Plural Keywords – This is a simple fix. Most people, when searching for something, will use the singular. But be sure to check it out and make sure. There are some words that are normally used as plural, such as shoes, so it would get more searches. But in general, the singular form might get you more results.
8. Using Single Keywords – Using a single word will not necessarily bring the people you need to your site. Plus, the competition is probably way too high for single words. If you sell cars, using the word cars is much too broad. You need to use phrases such as gas efficient Ford compact or other very specific phrases.
9. Obsessing with One Keyword or Phrase – Do not just use one word or phrase over and over. Choose several targeted and relevant phrases to sprinkle about your site. Try to create a balance between target specific and traffic drawing keywords.
10. Giving Up Proper Grammar for Keywords – Never, never add so many keywords to your content that the copy begins to lose proper grammar and sometimes does not even make sense. Your copy has to be readable and professional. The search engines are pretty good at passing over sites that do not use proper grammar. Make sure you are not one of them!
Keyword research and usage is not something to take lightly. Learn all you can to find and properly use the most effective keywords for your business. The rewards could be substantial!
About the Author:
Don’t be one of the 95% of people who fail at their online business. Terri Seymour can help you make money online. Find out how to increase your traffic and sales with her popular “How to Build Your Online Business” ebook for FREE at: ==> http://www.SeymourProducts.com
Please feel free to reprint this article in your newsletter, ezine, blog, etc as long as resource box is included and unchanged. And also please feel free to email me if you have questions about anything on our site. Thank you!